We provide seismic retrofitting on soft-story apartment buildings and single-family homes. Seismic retrofitting adds the necessary structural components needed so that your structure will be able to withstand the strong forces that occur during an earthquake.
Our seismic retrofitting services on multi-family apartment buildings will help prevent the potential for damage and even loss of lives during the next earthquake so that your building will still be standing when the shaking stops.
What We Do:
1. We analyze your building's structure in order to determine the best way to strengthen it. If it's a multi-family building, this will involve having a seismic engineer come in to ensure that the retrofits will meet standard requirements and adheres to all related ordinances and applicable laws.
2. We do the work. This can involve everything from adding shear walls, steel frames or simply strengthening existing walls. However, adding shear walls will help with adding lateral stability while adding steel frames to the ground floor will increase the building's strength.
Above is a typical soft story apartment building in L.A. County, which features the common characteristic of un-reinforced openings on the ground floor.
Many homes have a short-framed wall, or "cripple wall" under the first floor that needs to be strengthened in order to prevent it from falling or sliding off of its foundation during an earthquake. decreasing the chance for potential earthquake damage.
What We Do:
1. We Bolt and sill plates in the crawl space of your home in order to strengthen the connection between the wood frame of your home and the concrete foundation.
2. We Brace in your home's crawl space with plywood which will help keep the house from falling off its foundation during an earthquake.
Crawl Space (Below)
3. We strap and fasten your home's water heater in order to reduce the likelihood of water and fire damage. This consequently also protects the water supply.
Call us today to request a no-cost assessment of your home or soft-story building:
Seismic Retrofitting Inc.
5846 Kanan Dume Rd
Malibu, California 90265
Copyright 2017 Seismic Retrofitting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Above photos are examples of our capabilities,
but are not actual photos of projects we have specifically worked on.